Celebrating a Century of Faith
1921 Broadway Misson
Early settlers came West from Ontario and North from the United States after the turn of the century. They had a passion to share the good news of Jesus, they started Sunday Schools in their homes and invited Free Methodist evangelists to hold revival tent meetings in their communities. By 1920 there were already more than a dozen Free Methodist churches in Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta.
Under the direction of Mr. R.H. Hamilton, District Elder, a three week campaign in early 1921, a class of twenty-one, and a regularly rented mission hall at 725 Broadway came in quick succession as God’s answer to a young girl’s faith (Sarah Boyes). (Excerpt from a history of the Free Methodist Church in Canada)
1928 Eastlake and Main Street
By 1928 a new church facility was built on the corner of Eastlake and Main Street at the cost of $8000. The stained glass window from that church now hangs in the lobby of the Hampton Free Methodist Church.
Olive Souster, born in 1927, is the longest attending member of the Free Methodist Church. Olive and her husband Earl were married in the parsonage by Rev Milburn Hindmarsh. Milburn and his wife Elsie were pastors from 1944 to 1953.
As the new decade began, this group of faith-filled folk made the courageous decision to step forward with a new vision of reaching the city of Saskatoon for Christ.
In 1961, under the guidance of Pastor Paul Buffam, the church began to look to the community of Greystone to fulfill its mission.
In 1963, a lot became available for purchase at the corner of Bateman Crescent and Main Street, and plans were drawn for construction of a new church building and members of the congregation provided the majority of the labour.
The building was completed in late 1964. At that time, the name of the church was changed to the Greystone Heights Free Methodist Church
In August of 1975, Pastor Les and Peggy Krober arrived. Adult discipleship classes and small groups, which back then were called Koinonia Cells, were started. Mid-week prayer meetings transitioned into Wednesday evening “family nights” where everyone met for a meal in the fellowship hall, followed by age-level activities for kids plus choir practice for 30-40 adults.
The congregation began to look at ways to expand its outreach in the city and the new community of Lakeview was chosen as the place to build. An ambitious campaign was started to secure land and arrange for plans for a new, larger building. With a congregation of around 175 people, it seemed like an intimidating task to build a church that would hold 350 but God brought together people of faith who were committed to bring a church to a new community once again.
1941 Greystone Heights
1981 Lakeview Free Methodist Church
In 1981, the move to the new church in the community of Lakeview was complete. Along with a new building came a new name, Lakeview Free Methodist Church.
With a congregation of 90 households, and a mortgage of 18% interest, it was a giant leap of faith.
In 1985 the Krobers returned to the United States and Pastor Glenn Teal arrived as Senior pastor. Music ministry and small groups continued to flourish, and for the first time, staff were hired to direct age level ministries and children’s choir.
Youth ministry expanded with rallies and missions trips under the direction of Pastor Duane Goehner.
Contemporary music and weekly drama productions were at the heart of Lakeview’s outreach and "seeker style" approach.
Dedicated members of the church, along with relevant messages from Glenn resulted in many people coming to faith.